Monday, May 27, 2013

Ivy the Interloper

girl with books

She feels like an imposter.  Roaming the bookstore aisles on her blue collar lunch hour-rubbing elbows with academics who genuinely have a reason to be there. 

A clerk approaches, asks “Can I help you find something?” 

“Yes,” she replies, her voice a study in self assurance.  That she does not appear to be out of place serves to perpetuate the illusion that she belongs.

She looks the clerk straight in the eye.  “I’m working on my Ph.D.”  And then with a wink, adds, “in rocket science.  I was just about finished with it when I realized I’d run out of typing paper.”

The clerk, a ruddy cheeked freshman, majoring in biology, though struggling through general science, practically bows in admiration as he points her in the right direction-and promises himself that he will be just like her, one day.

 

This week’s prompt:

APPEAR
1a : to be or come in sight <the sun appears on the horizon>
  b : to show up <appears promptly at eight each day>
2: to come formally before an authoritative body <must appear in court today>
3: to have an outward aspect : seem <appears happy enough>

You're probably going to have to tinker with your sentence construction a bit in order to make appear work, since, as you know, our rules don't allow you to use appears or appeared.  That's why it's called a challenge!  Good luck!

Image sourced from the internet.

28 comments:

  1. A very nicely atmospheric tale and great blog name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you have me laughing out loud, yet again. Valerie, I love reading your studies of situations--you are marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, you make my day when you say things like that. I really, really appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. I like how she feels like she is posing, but she definitely impresses the clerk!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can only imagine how good it made her feel to be slightly hero worshipped;)

      Delete
  4. We can interpret his admiration for the rocket science or his admiration in her pretending to be something she isn't. Does he see that? It's up to us. It works in either case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph-it definitely could work either way-and if he doesn't pass general science he might be pretending some day too:) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  5. Good for her all around! It takes a LOT of determination and fortitude to continue to go someplace where one doesn't feel that they belong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! I was inspired to write this after being slightly out of my league on Saturday at a hard core outdoor type store where people were buying things like ice axes! EEEEEK!

      Delete
  6. I can't decide if she was pretending to be a blue collar worker or a rocket scientist. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! She's a blue collar worker in real life (or at least my fictionalized version of her real life!) ;)

      Delete
  7. Great interpretation of the prompt! I am the world's worst liar, so just the thought of pretending to be something I'm not scares the daylights out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy, you and me both! Thank goodness for being able to live vicariously through my characters! I'm no Frank Abagnale;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, you made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey Valerie! hi! We have had lovely PNW weather today. Yuck. Rain upon rain in our warm last few days. I was telling HM about Seattle and then I said it is like today - ALL THE TIME. Too bad you didn't feel up to traveling this time. I never like to travel on holidays. I like to travel on the off days. Less people. Man it is pouring right now as I type. I heard it helps to melt the snow pack better.

    Thanks for all of your hugs and kisses, girl friend! Take care, get all better and write to your heart's content!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story! Telling lies that impress...perhaps she should run for office? Only kidding :)

    What's funny is others probably didn't think anything about her being there. For some reason, we amplify our insecurities and how much it matters to others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imposter or not she certainly seems to have won over the ruddy cheeked clerk. You paint a lovely picture here.
    A great read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooohhh you can be so evil when you wannabe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes rocket science can have an intimidating effect on people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Naughty Ivy! Amazing what a little confidence can do. This is such a fun read Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing what happens when you look a nosy clerk in the eye. Good for Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing what happens when you look a nosy clerk in the eye. Good for Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhh rocket science - the only science I thought there was as a child!

    ReplyDelete