Friday, June 28, 2013

Chop, Chop!

The log, still un-split.

Wooden.

The axe.

Indifferent. 

One limb pretty much like another.

My mind, however, races.

I can’t reach the phone!

I can’t reach the phone!

I can’t reach the phone!

 

Almost a true story, but thankfully not.  Though it would add authenticity to Word Pirate ;)

http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com/2013/06/trifextra-week-seventy-four.html

This weekend we are asking you to play around with the following quote:

Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind.
--Henry James
We want you to follow the same general structure of the above quote.  Feel free to change the subject--tell us what's important about coffee or houseplants or whatever you'd like.  Or else change up the modifier--instead of telling us what's important, tell us what's sexy or overrated or pernicious.  Your last three lines should closely echo James's, giving us the same answer three times.
For instance, a post might look like this:
Three things about Trifecta Writing Challenge are amazing.  The first is the community.  The second is the community.  And the third is the community.
(But we kind of expect your submissions to be far, far better than that one.)
Your word limit this weekend depends on your word choices, but because we want you to closely follow James's structure, all posts should be somewhere around the same number of words as the above quote.  For the sake of clarity (and brevity), we'll impose a thirty-three word upper limit.
- See more at: http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com/2013/06/trifextra-week-seventy-four.html#sthash.dKOpJhAj.dpuf

44 comments:

  1. I love this! ...though very gruesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandra! I debated on the subject matter, though it was almost a true story for me! Thank goodness I missed in real life-both the log and my leg;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is that hands free headset when you need it?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this was great, although I hugged both my arms/legs afterwards...good, still there. :)

    TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TGIF to you too, Kir! I'm all present and correct too;)

      Delete
  5. When I think of how lucky I was...Great big ouch! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Kylie! Def. out of character for me, this one. I feel like I need to look at pictures of baby bunnies now so that I'll feel warm and fuzzy again:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember I had a day like this:) Scary. Love the way you put it it sounds nice, which I think we would both agree it did not feel that way at the time :) B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B-it was incredibly scary! And I just couldn't stop thinking about how close I'd been to a complete catastrophe!

      Delete
  8. Another good reason to stay away from wood chopping. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janna-that was exactly my reasoning too, after that!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I can't even bring myself to truly picture it. My mind just wants to see more bunnies;)

      Delete
  10. Hate it when that happens. I always feel so shaken up for hours. Pictures of baby bunnies would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chop, chop! Ouch! I'm cringing thinking about this. You more than drove you're point home and the repitition served that purpose so well. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lumdog! I thought this week I'd show my macabre side, so thank you for the "ouch" ;)

      Delete
  12. ouch much! you definitely got creative with this challenge, especially with how you followed the given 'format'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renada! The idea came to me suddenly, and I decided to see where it led. (Not close enough to the phone, obviously!) ;)

      Delete
  13. I've always heard a chainsaw don't know the difference between a leg or a log. I guess that goes for axes too. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's true, Ann. Definitely a design flaw;) Thanks so much for your two cents!!

      Delete
  14. Yikes! >__< I had to read it to be sure I was reading it write and yep haha Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. Me too Barbara! I never tried again after that. I saw my future in that swing and miss and I didn't like it one bit!!

      Delete
  16. Yikes, how scary! Glad you were safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Tammy. It's definitely a skill that takes practice to make perfect! I just hate to practice, is the thing;)

      Delete
  17. Another good reason for not using my fireplace. Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE that yours is so creative, so different from the prompt while staying true to the general form. So great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin! I'm so flattered by your wonderful comment!

      Delete
  19. When handling a sharp, dangerous object, be careful, careful and especially careful! I really liked the way you made this challenge your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawn-that is excellent advice! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your lovely comment! :)

      Delete
  20. Yikes! Love how creative this is Valerie! And I'm glad you escaped becoming a real pirate in this manner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! Me too! Hobbling around on a peg leg might be taking this whole pirate thing a bit too far;) I appreciate your comment so much:)

      Delete
  21. Thank you a million times over, Jo-Anne! I wasn't sure about this one at first-it was so painful to write;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Disarming :-) and I love it, lacking aim and you have maim

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bjorn-now that's what I call clever! Thanks for the sterling comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Incredible to make such a gripping tale from so few words

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yikes! Thank goodness for *almost!*

    Also? "One limb pretty much like another." Whoosh.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the new site and have the address in my blog reader.

    This was quite a challenge, but you did well by it (as usual):~)

    ReplyDelete